Course Objectives & Outline
Course Module Highlights
- In this course, we will go over the major food groups that are common to most grocery stores as well as certain foods that you've likely seen or heard about but maybe haven't tasted or prepared.
- Each section will discuss the nutrients included in each food that translate into real, tangible health benefits, proving why it is so important to include them in a regular rotation.
- Each section will end with a 7-day recipe plan and a few culinary demonstrations so you can have a practical game plan for preparing these foods in a way that is flavorful, filling, and exciting.
Course Objectives (Skill):
- Prepare seven go-to recipes (i.e. easy, without thinking!) for each food group; fruits, veggies, whole grains, and beans.
- Decrease prep/cook time by using at least one convenience packaged food product (e.g. canned, frozen) and at least one unprocessed, whole food (e.g. any produce item).
- Implement five strategies that decrease time spent prepping and cooking.
- Evaluate packaged food products based on the degree of processing and how it affects the nutrient value
- Know at least two ways to season and flavor dishes
Course Objectives (Knowledge):
- Know the basic template for a nutritionally balanced meal
- Know the four main food groups that are the foundation for a dietary lifestyle that can prevent and reverse common chronic disease
- Know the health benefits associated with eating more plant-based foods
- Know the key nutrients included in fruits, beans, legumes, whole grains, nuts & seeds, and fresh herbs that support health and well-being